EQ on a Duel-Core Processor

You Guessed it. General EQ stuff!

EQ on a Duel-Core Processor

Postby flying_banana » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:59 am

I've had this new computer for quite some time now (since early august I think?) and recently I have been boxing, but it seems as if the computer might be running a bit slower than it could be. I heard some where that I can get two different applications of EQ to each run on seperate processors and I don't think that is happening right now. Can anyone give me some info on how to do it? Any info is appreciated. Here are my computer specs:

Athlon 3800+ Dual Core Processor
2Gigs ram
256MB GeForce 7600 GT video card

I think thats all that really matters when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't care much for over-clocking because if something goes wrong, I have absolutely no money to replace any broken pieces so that means no EQ at all. If you need anymore info just post saying so. Thanks!
Earthguard Xelus Merivius
Keepin' it real since 1989
flying_banana
Outrider

Postby Ueauvan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:25 am

search for dual core on sor forums, think you set icon to one of the processors or other
aka The Ancient One (tm)
Fear the power of the banana!
Ueauvan
Ancient one!

Postby Otzberger » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am

OK, here's what you need to do. Start the first instance of EQ but click off the autoplay check at the bottom. After the patcher runs, CTRL+LT+DEL, go to applications, find EverQuest.exe and right click on it in the list. Select "Set Affinity" and then uncheck one of the processors (I usually uncheck the first one because that's the one that most applications use first). Now, go ahead and log in to EQ.

When that is done, ALT+ENTER and minimize EQ. Double click on your EQ icon and patch it but don't auto start it. So the same as above, but select the OTHER processor. Go ahead and log in. When you are logged in, you can now play one instance of EQ on each processor and keep them both in windowed mode.

Should work like a charm. Good luck and have fun.

Otz
Otzberger
Pathfinder

Postby flying_banana » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:13 pm

That's exactly what i'm looking for, thanks a bunch!
flying_banana
Outrider

Postby Shaggio » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:13 am

I showed this fix to a guildee, and he says that when he does the ctrl+alt+del/set affinity he gets a popup window that says access is denied. Anyone have any clue on what that could mean? He was hoping to not edit the registry as per the SOE fix.

Thanks for the help.
Shaggio
Outrider

Postby Barnard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 am

You can't set affinity on eqgame.exe but you can on everquest.exe. Your guildee is probably bypassing the patcher or waiting till hes actually in the game to try to set affinity. Windows will only let you set affinity when the patcher is running.

You can find various utilities to make this easier to do as well such as Win2000 Launcher. These various utilities will let you set affinity on eqgame.exe and even create separate shortcuts to run 1 instance of EQ on 1 core and another on the 2nd core.
The Tribunal - retired (This time I mean it!)
Barnard
Pathfinder

Postby flying_banana » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:00 pm

Well, after experimenting for a while, it turns out running two differnet accounts on two different cores doesnt make much difference. The damn shaman still gets lost on autofollow. It does help when switching between EQ applications though.
flying_banana
Outrider

Postby Sarkaukar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:02 am

flying_banana wrote:Well, after experimenting for a while, it turns out running two differnet accounts on two different cores doesnt make much difference. The damn shaman still gets lost on autofollow. It does help when switching between EQ applications though.

The autofollow will always happen when boxing on the same system because the non-focused EQ window is automatically being slowed to approx 5-10 FPS.
Sarkaukar
Pathfinder

Postby Ayragon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:47 am

try the pro version of WinEQ2.....works great, no backgroud lag as uses great FPS sharing ratios.....also has CPU afinity built into the "lite" or free version....although I find the pro version way better.
Ayragon
Ranger

Postby Aegnor » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:05 pm

Sarkaukar wrote:
flying_banana wrote:Well, after experimenting for a while, it turns out running two differnet accounts on two different cores doesnt make much difference. The damn shaman still gets lost on autofollow. It does help when switching between EQ applications though.

The autofollow will always happen when boxing on the same system because the non-focused EQ window is automatically being slowed to approx 5-10 FPS.

I'm pretty sure there is some setting where you can adjust that. But I've never done it so I'm not exactly sure where it is.
There he made a song for Beleg, and he named it Laer Cu Beleg, the Song of the Great Bow, singing it aloud heedless of peril. -- Silmarillion (death of Beleg)

Aegnor Strongbow
Aegnor
Pathfinder

Postby redchief » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 pm

I use a Emp horse on my shaman and then dont get any AF issues.
redchief
Pathfinder

Postby Tineren » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:17 pm

Even with the lite(free) version of wineq2 I have no problems with autofollow. While it is certainly true that you don't need wineq to 2 box with one machine, it does make things work better.
Tineren
Pathfinder

Return to General Everquest Discussion