Ranger vs Monk DPS ?

You Guessed it. General EQ stuff!

Ranger vs Monk DPS ?

Postby Yzyh » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:02 pm

I am curious about this. My hgihest toon is a 63monk he sure have awsome DPS (over 700AA) but I am tired about pulling, smashing kick and claw button then running again .....

So I will give my ranger another try. I know that ranger DPS won,t be as good but I am wondering what will be the difference ?
Some ranger twink: ZZZhttp://eq.magelo.com/profile/1336955ZZZ"
Yzyh
Ranger
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:59 am

Postby Leiker » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:50 pm

IMO Monks are one of the more fun pure melee classes to play, if you really have to.
However if your comparison criteria between two classes is the DPS, Ranger's are not for you :D Not because we parse out terribly low - we don't, but because you play a ranger for the array of other possibilities.
Playing a hybrid opens up for a whole new world of possibilitis, and if played the right, the Ranger is really an impressive class... just be aware you wont ever best "best at anything", however the class can be pretty damned good at most things... meaning that in most groupsetups, you will always have a good chance at being best at something if you're playing properly :)

Read the boards around here - ranger's have always been struggling with the image at sucking at everything, but if you read between the lines, most experienced ranger's knows it isn't true... it's hard to describe excactly why, but we have the tools to adapt to most roles in a normal group to a useable extend, and that is, imo, the most important aspect of the class.

For medium-to-high raiding, where it all comes down to melee power for most purposes we do lack behind - mainly because we're lacking alot in burst dps disc's; however we do bring other things to the table - such as using TS on heavy rampage/ae mobs, putting us almost on par with our melee dps and staying out of healing trouble (700ish dps an not needed a single heal from clerics, is pretty valuable if you ask me). The fact that we don't have to loose DPS massively when backing out of a fight to avoid something(Ture? :) ) or grab a heal. I cannot count the numbers of time a wellplaced WS followed by a Jolting kicks have saved a raid... or landing that critical heal on an enchanter or cleric just in time etc...
Still though, the DPS is not that bad, look at most raid parses, and you'll typically see a ranger floating around within the top 5 of it.
About high-end raiding I have no clue, but I am sure someone here can elightnen you... but being 63 with your primary, tells me it'll be a while before you will have those concerns :)

Groups are were we shine the most, if you ask me though... The utility and versatility of the class just cannot be beat... but it's an class that takes some hard work to get to the point where it's fun.
Image
Leiker
Ranger
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:52 am
Location: Denmark

Postby Ueauvan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:27 am

if played to their potential, ranger and bsts are the 2 best classes to have in a grp. both offer utility and more importantly, options
Image
aka The Ancient One (tm)
Fear the power of the banana!
Ueauvan
Ancient one!
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:36 am
Location: England, Home of the Empire !

Postby Yzyh » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 am

Yeah thats why I wanan try the Ranger class. I don't mind not beeing the big DPS class but I'd like to know ranger DPS vs monk one.

Can I hope to do 80% of my monk DPS in same kidn of gear, AA ?
Some ranger twink: ZZZhttp://eq.magelo.com/profile/1336955ZZZ"
Yzyh
Ranger
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:59 am

Postby Nedrom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 am

as far as straight up melee and not including nukes or special attacks, with the same weapons, monks will always out dps rangers

we have higher weapon skills (h2h, 1hb, 2hb etc...)
we have higher dual wield skill
we have higher double attack skill
we have innate dmg bonus via dmg table (all other melees are on same table)

what gets tricky between ranger and monk dps and where you see rangers catching up or not being as high as monks is the dps gained from nukes, bow and special attacks etc...

I've been consistantly outparsed by a ranger when i was in demiplane but he was always very far ahead of all the other rangers too, it really comes down to playstyle. I've seen some monks get outparsed by beastlords and ive seen some rangers really low too.

I'd have to say that 60% of any class dps is from their abilities and the other 40% is from the player's knowledge of their class and how to perform to the max
Nedrom
Not A Ranger
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 am

Postby Sokko » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:35 am

Nedrom wrote:I'd have to say that 60% of any class dps is from their abilities and the other 40% is from the player's knowledge of their class and how to perform to the max


QFT.
Image
User avatar
Sokko
Outrider Bartender
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:29 am
Location: Tending bar at Sokko's Sippin' Spot

Postby Curyllic » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:46 am

Agree with Nedrom on that.
Assuming full burn so much of it is how you combine your discs together, moving as a mob moves, pestering shaman, chanters, and beastlords, and a few other things.


I have always loved playing a Ranger.
I think I first started loving it when I first made mine and was using tracking to hunt down giant rat whiskers for quest armor in Quenos Hills. Then when getting AA's like innate camo just brought it to a while another level, plus EQ/AM3 when ranged damage was king, and just the ability to train around in a zone and hit innate camo on the run rocks!

If I were to play another class it would be a monk though.
Image
Curyllic
Ranger
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:55 am

Postby Draug » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 pm

If you want some numbers.
In a tier 2 DP guild. ( no twinfang yet )
We hace a guy that do parses usualy on burn fights.

Top monk is usualy 2000-2400DPS
Top ranger is 1200Ish DPS, depends of mob FR/CR. no HoA used.
Monk will usualy have shaman + bard.
Ranger having only shaman in group.
Draug
Ranger
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:55 pm

Postby Yzyh » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 pm

ty for all the help everyone. Ish I didn't tought that ranger where that low DPS compared to monk hehe.

Well ATM I am just to bored with my monk. Sadly I had Welf, Skeleton, Human illusion onhim as well as all of the no drop casino reward (on the way to get Delf mask).

But I am just so bored about pulling and spaming kick + claw even if my group EXP is always insane due to fast pulling + fast killing. I hope that my ranger will ever get near my monk.
Some ranger twink: ZZZhttp://eq.magelo.com/profile/1336955ZZZ"
Yzyh
Ranger
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:59 am

Postby Astroshak » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:04 am

Rangers don't get much of anything in terms of burst discs. We get one burst damage AA, a burst accuracy AA that affects the whole group and can be MGB'd, and we get an accuracy disc. Our dps disc is limited to archery only.

Monks, on the other hand, get I don't know what kinda burst discs. I do know that they get a haste disc and a damage disc that at least doubles damage for a brief time.

So Ranger burst is not exactly much bigger than ranger sustained. Monk burst, and pretty much any other melee-based DPS class's burst, will be significantly bigger than their sustained.
Astroshak
Huntmaster
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:46 pm

Postby Ueauvan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:53 am

consistent dps versus burst i might do 650+ with weps and no spells, comparable monk in guild 850+
Image
aka The Ancient One (tm)
Fear the power of the banana!
Ueauvan
Ancient one!
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:36 am
Location: England, Home of the Empire !

Postby Poote » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:55 am

Leiker wrote: just be aware you wont ever best "best at anything", however the class can be pretty damned good at most things...


what about dying, my ranger is best at that so are the 20+ rangers i've group/raided/seen =P
Image
-= WARNING: This Web site contains material which may cause thinking =-
Karian_RoI wrote: Add Melee Proc: Poote's Spite(700ddproc 200 heal recourse)
Poote
Outrider
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:07 am
Location: A Tree in Kelethin

Postby Jhenna » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:48 am

Ueauvan,

Are you certain on that 650 dps number? I have 2.0, Vish whip, Fero V, no weapon damage augs, all procs and that about what I parse. I'd think you would be quite a bit higher than me with your weapon set up. :) I'm just curious if a Vish whip is that much better than a 38/24.

Oh yeah, I'm 100 AA's short of being max AA'd too. Have no magelo linked.
Image
User avatar
Jhenna
Pathfinder
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: The alley behind the Maiden's Fancy

Postby Ueauvan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 am

maybe its 750 vs 950 , im 42 24 and 41 24 vs 42 20 and something else the monks have
Image
aka The Ancient One (tm)
Fear the power of the banana!
Ueauvan
Ancient one!
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:36 am
Location: England, Home of the Empire !

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:20 am

Jhenna wrote:Ueauvan,

Are you certain on that 650 dps number? I have 2.0, Vish whip, Fero V, no weapon damage augs, all procs and that about what I parse. I'd think you would be quite a bit higher than me with your weapon set up. :) I'm just curious if a Vish whip is that much better than a 38/24.

Oh yeah, I'm 100 AA's short of being max AA'd too. Have no magelo linked.


I'd be surprised if Dragonkiller doesn't compare favourably with the RBM. it's certainly not going to be left "in the dust" DPS wise thats for sure.

Image
Schadenfreude
Shakespeare
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:38 am

Next

Return to General Everquest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest