Pathfinder's Grace - not impressed

Spells, Skills and AA discussion

Pathfinder's Grace - not impressed

Postby Jarron » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 am

I'm not impressed by it. My Monk seems to run faster with his Weightless Steps AA counterpart; as does my Bard with his Selo's Endurance Cadence AA.

Pathfinder's Grace seems to be slightly slower than the Spirit of Eagle AA, which I think is 70%.

From what I can tell, SoE spell = 60%
Pathfinder's Grace L3 = 65%
FoE spell = 65%
SoE AA = 70%

Sammana's site states , run6 is 57%, run7 is 64%, run8 is 71%

Further testing involved casting SoE (AA) on my mage box and put on autofollow. He had no trouble keeping up to ranger with Levitate and PG3. I have a good connection and good computer and good video card.

Anyone else? I feel like I wasted 25AAs doing PG3 (18aa) and Perfect Levitation (7aa); when SoE AA only cost 7 aas.

J
Jarron
Ranger

Re: Pathfinder's Grace - not impressed

Postby Khauruk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 am

I've never heard that the SoE AA is higher than the spell, and I doubt it - those AAs cast the exact spell version and were put in purely for convenience's sake.

And playing my beastlord yesterday, I am impressed by Pathfinder's Grace and every other higher runspeed class....I hate being a slowpoke.
Khauruk
Ranger

Postby hatsee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 am

Pathfinder's Grace is run 8, you will run the exact same speed as a monk.

But remember that SoE is worthless to you now as it's going to act like a snare because your base runspeed is faster than what the buff gives. This could be why you think it sucks. You'll want to use nothing but perfected lev, and yes it makes no sense why we got SoE as an AA well after it was worthless.
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1432623
hatsee
Plainswalker

Postby Jarron » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

That's the thing, Hatsee. I thought run8 would be faster than SoE, and that I'd effectively be snared as you say.

But that's not the case in practice. I'm saying my base runspeed(8) is not faster than SoE. If I'm running at 71% speed, I should have been able to outdistance my box who only had a 60% speed buff (supposedly) after a 3 minute run.

No lag, straight line. But he towed along w/o losing distance.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Ladas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:04 pm

My experience is that when playing two characters on the same machine, regardless of the hardware since player location is controlled server side, if you tab to the character following the slightly faster toon (SoE vs. Run8), the following toon will be able to keep up over long distances. If you stay tabbed to the slightly faster leader toon, you will eventually outpace the range of autofollow and the following toon will stop.

I think that this occurs because even though character location is controled by the server, the autofollow range check is done locally, based upon where the server tells you the other character is located. I come to this conclusion based upon the "circling" behavior of the following toon when moving short distances.

There is also the interesting tendency of instant cast buffs with a range larger than /follow not hitting the lead or trailing toon when cast by the other.

When I travel with my alt in tow (shaman), the ranger is in the lead so I can keep an eye on tracking for anything interesting. Using SoE on the shaman and staying on the ranger works for smaller zones, but somewhere like Eastern Waste, the shaman will eventually fall behind and stop.

Instead, I hit Group Cheetah on the shaman, tab to the ranger and hit Shared Camo and start running. That gets me about way across EW before I have to stop and recast Cheetah and Camo. However, it took a few deaths on the shaman to figure out I had to stop and redo the buffs because the two insta cast buffs werent hitting the other toon despite their apparent proximity. Cheetah not hitting the ranger isnt a big deal, but the lack of invis on the shaman obviously is a problem.
Ladas
University Professor

Postby hatsee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Jarron wrote:That's the thing, Hatsee. I thought run8 would be faster than SoE, and that I'd effectively be snared as you say.

But that's not the case in practice. I'm saying my base runspeed(8) is not faster than SoE. If I'm running at 71% speed, I should have been able to outdistance my box who only had a 60% speed buff (supposedly) after a 3 minute run.

No lag, straight line. But he towed along w/o losing distance.

Well no, you're looking at this as if a 1-2% increase is a lot.

The AA SoE looks to be 70%, honestly I never bothered to check as I never imagined it would be increased past the spell. That puts it at about 2% under what we should be doing with Run 8, 72% iirc, which means the increase is so small you probably wont really see it.
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1432623
hatsee
Plainswalker

Postby Gladare » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:08 pm

170% runspeed vs 171%. You think you'll notice a difference? It's like haste. Your base runspeed is 100%.

Yes, the SoE aa is 70%. It overwrites the FoE spell.
Gladare
Pathfinder

Postby Astroshak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Lucy agrees that the SoE AA is 70%, while the spell is 60%. I was not previously aware of that.

That said - the spell DOES act as a snare. I two box, both toons have their own machine. The zerker does not get run8, but I do have it on the ranger. If I do not cast SoE on myself, then my zerker cannot keep up with me - whether I cast SoE on him or not. Now, I'm going to have to start using the AA for longer distance runs (such as running back to Pillars), since I now know that it is in fact faster than the spell. But I'd only been using the spell so far.
Astroshak
Huntmaster

Postby Tadenea » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 pm

its just as easy to use Run Speed AA and Perm Lev, since SoE and FoE both are not permenant the different is hardly noticeable
Another way to see speed distance is not to race another person just see how you run then click it off and see if its slower
Tadenea the Quester
Bunny Ranger
Tadenea
Community Leader

Postby Delbaeth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:06 pm

The Spirit of Eagle AA does have some small use as it is a hair faster than the spell at +70% instead of +60%. For that you pay longer recast and shorter duration. The difference is clear if you have a non monk-bard-ranger following you. With the AA they stay close, with the spell they fall behind quickly.

I ran foot races between my bard and ranger in the Arena. They were on separate computers, no auto-follow, nothing to interfere. They ran the same exact speed. Timed laps were the same as well.

An ability which doesn't need to be cast, doesn't need a spell slot, doesn't fade and can't be dispelled is just nicer.

It all feels stupid in relation to SKs and their teleport.
Delbaeth
Outrider

Postby Jarron » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:17 am

I'm probably believing Pathfinder's Grace is slower than monk/bard because the ranger always levitates above the ground. While the monk/bard are at ground level. It must be an aberration of the 3D movement that being higher up feels slower than being low down. Like when I'm on my motorcycle, higher up, doing 90mph feels slower than doing 90 in a low to the ground car.

Might be why bikers don't like to go slower than 100 on the highway.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Ladas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 am

Eyes buff affects this perception as well.
Ladas
University Professor

Postby Wayylon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:17 pm

I still have a use for my SoE AA: I cast it on my box mage and shammy pets.
Wayylon
Ranger

Return to Askr's Accuracy