The Rangers Tips

Spells, Skills and AA discussion

Re: The Rangers Tips

Postby Jarron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:01 am

Haha, indeed. I'm an endgame raiding Monk and Zerker who came back after 4-5 years and pretended to know what I'm doing with a Ranger! I'm no longer endgame, just casual, and I don't know ranger abilities as well (hell I forgot most zerker/monk abilities too). Hence my difficulty with the lingo and getting my mssg across. Anyway...

I'm experiencing issues with PoP mobs in the following zones:
Crypt of Decay (puslings, rats)
Halls of Honor (suits and humans)
Plane of Earth (most not headshotable, but the terrain is all bumpy)
Wall of Slaughter (little fat demons harder to HoA, nocs and kyvs easier)

On flat ground it's definitely easier to HoA, but I expected that. And I'm usually levi'd.

J
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Jarron wrote:Haha, indeed. I'm an endgame raiding Monk and Zerker who came back after 4-5 years

Hows that awesome 235 HPs gear working out for you?

Schadenfreude
Shakespeare

Postby Jarron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm pleased you are enjoying my misery! Your name suits you :)

I recall wincing when I saw that endgame gear is now 2500hp a piece. I was scratching my head and looking back at the days of yore when the zerker 2.0 epic was pimp. Now my leet 96? dmg 2h axe is the standard on 1h weapons. Holy moly. I haven't even logged into the zerker yet cuz I think I'll get depressed. Mobs hitting for 8k and bosses AEing for 40k?? It's like Terminator and Predator had a baby.

Just glad it's all so cheap to upgrade now in the bazaar. Sony did well in making the game fun again; but the mudflation is running away exponentially. What's next? 5000hp items, then 10,000? I want a mask that shoots fireballs out of the eyes, and bolts of lightning out of the pantaloons seat.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Astroshak » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 pm

No .. the mask shoots the paired laser beams. The pants summon flying monkeys.
Astroshak
Huntmaster

Postby Whitman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 am

The mask is Troll wearable only...
Retired. Goodbye, and thanks for all the tips.
Whitman
Warder

Postby Jarron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:35 am

Just wanted to mention that Ranger + Mage duo is beyond phenomenal. My every need is satisfied.

When I go HS AA farming, I am doing 24 AAs (LotD) on EACH toon in 30 mins. Pet goes in, ranger fires. I occassionally pull a grouping and vinelash them, (not too many, btwn 4-8 is good) when the train is smaller I send the pet in hold the train w/o having to re-vinelash. Mage's relocate companion can move the pet and all the mobs have their backs to me. I'm not even that uber, only 1200 AAs, casual player. I have trickshot 10, good strike thru etc., I'm sure all that helps. A plain old 25 delay bow. I can't imagine what it'll be like once I pick up the uzi in NToV.

The only problem with this is I run out of mobs way too fast and need a plethora of a hunting ground.

For nameds, I unscabbard a merc. For nameds that are 10min + fights and rampage, I send in ranger first to position. I have parry proc in my first spell slot (I recommend this as the proc check goes weapon aug first, weapon, buffs in order 1,2,3...). Parry procs soon enough and I position the mob in 12 secs. Send in mage pet to get on rampage. Then activate cleric merc (must be on passive to not rtard heal too early). Save WS for 20%Mob as that's when the fit usually hits the shan.

CoH + assist aggro + root combo can usually pull anything from anywhere in the zone. If you have the means, try out the ranger and mage duo, you'll rarely need a merc as mages can heal their pets fairly well, and I guarantee you will say 'wow.' Mage's dps is pretty sick if you know the mana preservation combos. They have an uber 20 sec pet that quads like a MackTruck. PM me if you need some help.

I'm ready for round 2 and my revenge, Magmaton.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Jarron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 am

While I'm posting in Tips Thread, here's some tidbits I picked up.

-OutAccuracy doesn't stack with Trueshot line (Bullseye).
-Auspice doesn't stack with Intensity of the Resolute, heal% mod conflict.
-Hunter's Fury 4 is when the buff lasts longer, so get it. With SCR it can last 1 min+. HF gives you a hit dmg mod%.
-Consumed by the Hunt = same hit/crit mods as epic. Treat as an epic click when it's running and save epic for later:
10: Increase Chance to Critical Hit by 180% with All Skills
11: Increase Accuracy by 180%
Epic is
10: Increase Chance to Critical Hit by 170%
11: Increase Accuracy by 170%
Auspice is
2: Increase Accuracy by 200%
4: Increase Chance to Critical Hit by 195% with All Skills
So they should stack, but some parsers say otherwise. But I don't waste Ausp until my group's nukers are ready.

I use 3 dps burn hotkeys. I find them makes my long term output better:
1 (bow)= Bullseye + Oatk + GotF + Ausp + Epic/Consumed. [Work in Called Shots / Focused]
2 (melee)= Oacc + Ausp + epic/consumed [GotF/GgoTF is always down for me]
3 (spell/boomstick)= Tonic of Resonant Fire + Intesity of Resolute + IF + 3rd spire + epic/consumed

Don't forget aggro control in there!
For me, Ausp = Epic = Consumed, but opinions vary.

- Shm epic is nice,
- Delivery Facilitator makes a great swarm pulling tool. Zam it.
- If you like dmg mods, the following don't stack: GoTF / Int.Reso / Trueshot - Bullseye / Oacc.
- If you like crit hit %mods Shm epic = Ausp = Epic = Oatk = CoP. Don't waste trying to stack.
- Save your mana
- Be nice to shamans

Jarron
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Ladas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 am

Jarron wrote:I have parry proc in my first spell slot (I recommend this as the proc check goes weapon aug first, weapon, buffs in order 1,2,3...).

Proc check on weapons is innate -> aug slot 1 -> aug slot 2
Buff procs are checked separately if I recall correctly, as you can have a buff proc and a weapon proc on the same round, but you cannot have two weapon procs on the same round.
Having Deafening in your first buff slot is not necessary, unless for some reason you are using two melee proc buffs.

1 (bow)= Bullseye + Oatk + GotF + Ausp + Epic/Consumed. [Work in Called Shots / Focused]
2 (melee)= Oacc + Ausp + epic/consumed [GotF/GgoTF is always down for me]

There is no reason to use both Auspice and Epic at the same time I can think of. The most important mod on those two buffs is the increase to crit rate, which doesn't stack. You would be better off using the BP click instead, assuming you have HoT or VoA BP.
Ladas
University Professor

Postby Jarron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am

Are you sure about the weapon proc thing? You're probably right about the innate part, if you mean AA stuff. Can you give any examples by what you would include in innate?

And to me the buff procs seem to go off after everything else, ie. is checked last and in order of buff slots. This I've gathered from reviewing other people's parses. These revealed the augs went off literally 2x as much as the rest, all else equal (proc mods etc).

Personally I need to have them in order in specific buff slots since I use 2 proc buffs (Parry and Consumed). I've learned through experience that if I don't have them high up other buffs come in (mage defensive proc) to play. And for boss fights I definitely need my parry proc first and foremost. I'm one of those tanking rangers.

Of course YMMV.

Tx in advance for help on this Ladas.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Ladas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Positive on the procs... innate weapon proc is checked first, then augs. Innate would be the proc on the weapon as it exists before any modifications, like Earthcall on the Earthcaller, or Vampiric Strike IV on Decree. That level proc always checks first, which is why you have options on how you should chose your Imbued options.... need emergency healing --> two tap weapons with Imbued + Scouts. However, weapon procs occur at a set frequency regardless of number of attacks, so unless you are using insanely slow weapons while slowed, or something like Imbued that forces a proc every round, you aren't likely to have issues with where one aug proc never fires compares to another, or the innate.

For buff procs, it is different and checked separately, though I don't recall the check or the restrictions on what can fire in a round with multiple buff procs. However, unless there is something in the background that you can demonstrate with parses, Consumed shouldn't have any impact on Deafening, regardless of buff order. Consumed is only checked if you land the killing blow on the NPC, just like Hunter's Fury. I do believe you will run into issues with buff proc priority with Lion's and Deafening, but its been so long, I don't recall the rules.
Ladas
University Professor

Postby Jarron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Unusual, I have reviewed parses that show augs fire much more, but that might be due to the built in mod.
I wonder if Hunter's Fury falls as an Innate (since it's an AA) or as a buff?

From my experience and understanding, the buff procs are checked in order in your slots, and you cannot have 2 fire in 1 round. Each swing there is a buff proc check, slot 1, slot 2, slot 3, all the way down until something triggers. Once it triggers it goes back to the top. And hence your lower down buff proc won't go off as often. (Similarly when nullify magic line is cast on you by an npc, it checks each buff slot vs. a mystical saving throw that factors in your level vs. the mobs, and the counters on the nullify, all the way down your buffs.)

I will test soon with a cleric's vow of valor + enchanter boon of garou and see what goes off more often, and then switch orders. Of course, as soon as results are posted a dev will stumble onto them here and tweak the coding to make it seem more random and less controllable.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Whitman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 am

Jarron wrote:Are you sure about the weapon proc thing?

Here's a tip: Don't ask Ladas if he's sure about something he posted :-)
Retired. Goodbye, and thanks for all the tips.
Whitman
Warder

Postby Gladare » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:38 am

I think the best tip is to not to post tips willy nilly especially if it's bad info. Not directed to Whit or Ladas.
Gladare
Pathfinder

Postby Jarron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 am

/I got your willy nilly right here.
Jarron
Ranger

Postby Jarron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 am

Perusing the internets I came upon a good post of tips right here:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/how-to-ranger-raiding.1697/

Hope it helps!