Elemental Nukes (long post, pictures included)

Area for Parse Postings and Repeating Parses

Elemental Nukes (long post, pictures included)

Postby Crunkfresh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 am

So if you read around on the forums rangers suggest various different spell casting loadouts for dps. Mostly in terms of "what the rangers in my guild do" and "this is how I top the meters". Basically, lots of anecdotal evidence. I decided to run some lengthy parses to find the correct spell rotation for optimal DPS. This is a study on our elemental nukes in particular. Parses are taken with nothing but the noted elemental spells and melee swings.

Skip to Part III for the TL,DR

Part I - Baseline Parses
These parses are all done over a 5 hour period of time. They are done with Crude Defiant Maces (5/25), Talisman of Celerity, no cooldowns, and no type 3 augs.

Test 1
This was my first hypothesis for best dps. I figured maximizing the use of all our RoF spells would optimize our dps.

Test 2
This is a suggestion I see fairly often, to use our RoF fire plus our VoA spell, Beastwood Ash.

Test 3
The results of Test 2 we're pretty good, so I decided to see what would happen if I threw Bitter Wind into the mix.

Based off these parses Test #1 wins out over Test #2, however it was was only by 108.3 Spell DPS. You have to keep in mind, however, that Beastwood Ash is only Rk. II (sorry, don't have Rk. III, which would have been ideal) and the difficulty of managing the loadout suggested in Test #1. Swapping between Ashcloud and Windblast Boon requires more attention and more hotkeys and a small mess up can easily be the difference of 108 Spell DPS.
Test #3 appeared to be the most optimal dps build coming out 182 Spell DPS over Test #1, however you are introducing a 4th spell into the mix, which when used with high end weapons and all of our melee burns, could yeild different results because you can lose swings if your swing timer ends while you are casting. That's why I ran the tests in Part II.

Part II - Parses with Burns

For these parses I put back on my spell damage foci (40-100% Fire, 40-70% Cold, 18% casting time reduction) and type 3 augs (Vileoak Ash), had full raid buffs, and popped all of the cooldowns I could (Bosquestalker's Disc, Attack, Guardian, Scout's Mastery of FIre, Accuracy, Anguish BP, Auspice, and 3rd Spire), and my raid weapons (Floe 140/24, Frosthewn Truncheon 140/24). The logic being I had already tested the lowest possible end of the dps scale so I now I wanted the highest end to see what my damage potential would be.

These parses are 1 hour long.

Test 1B
This is the same test as Test #1, with all the afforementione equipped gear.

Test 2B
Same story, more gear. The first two tests easily corroborate the findings of parses run in Part I. There isn't much to be said here.

Test 3B
This test is the same as Test #3, however unlike my first round of tests this combination netted significantly less DPS than others and does not support the findings of the first test. As you can see below adding a 4th elemental nuke significantly cut into my overall number of swings. At 225% haste with 24 delay weapons my swing timer is signifcantly faster, and missed swings become more detrimental as a flurry, tripple attack, twinproc, or any number of other things will easily outweigh the damage of a single cast Bitter Wind not taking advantage of a Boon.

Test 4
The results of Test #3B led me to running this test to make sure Beastwood Ash wouldn't be a waste of time. Here I only used 2 spells, but you can see it looks like a combination of 3 elemntal nukes is the sweet spot for time spent casting.

Test 5
Since the results of Test #3 were largely positive it only made sense to do one with Bitter Wind instead of Beastwood Ash. Bitter Wind hits higher than Beastwood Ash even under the effects of Scout's Mastery of Fire. Really, it didn't even need a parse, logic dictates its a better choice - but I did it anyway. It should be noted that this parse was taken raid buffed like the others, however I am missing Merciless Ferocity.

When evaluating this data for yourself its important to keep in mind the different amounts of procs given in each test - Major Lightning Call is the Anguish BP and Devastating Impact Strike is our self-buff. Note that the parses with the most procs are often the ones with the highest DPS. If this is the case we can assume that the actual differences in nukes cast is accounting for an even smaller difference than it would initially appear. The exception being Test #5 where we have a smaller number of procs with a higher sustained DPS output, and while this test might have a slightly higher % Chance to Crit, the Damage from Crit is almost the same as the other tests.

Yeah, it would have been better to take these parses without proc effects but my hope was to gauge if chain casting spells would seriously cut into swing amounts and thusly proc damage. The data was largely inconclusive or inconsequential, but that was my reasoning.

Part III - Conclusions
Well, sad to say, this has largely been a waste of time. I know that one hour parses aren't long enough to truly show precise differences in dps and the only way to really get accurate numbers would be to test all of these combinations for 20+ hours under every meaningful buff and cooldown in the game. That's far beyond the scope of these tests and would take months to do. Sorry, at some point I'd like to get back to actually playing the game.

But, that's not why this has been a waste of time. The really shocking conclusion we can draw from these parses is that it doesn't really matter which three spells you cast as long as you are casting them. They are all within 500 dps, and a ranger's spell damage modifiers are largely self contained. We bring Auspice ourselves, Scout's Mastery doesn't stack with 2nd Spire of the Minstrels, rarely will we ever be grouped with bards singing caster songs to us, etc. 500 dps is given or lost in crits, procs, foci scaling, fight mechanics, resists, and all the other stuff that makes parsing Everquest DPS neigh impossible. The numbers you see here will, more or less, be the same you will see in groups and raids with other classes. While they might not be perfect parses with a perfect median number attained you can still see a general trend in the numbers and the outcome wouldn't be drastically changed if we parsed it out for 5, 10, or even 20 hours.

In theory the loadout used in Test #1 will be your best DPS outside of burns while nixing Windblast Boon if they are active. I don't suggest this however, as it requires the most micromanagement for a boost that is easily lost in RNG or user error. Not to mention that you save a spell gem that would be more valuable over 1-200 dps as a heal, cc, or our unity buff in a raid setting. To me, it seems our best option is to use Ashcloud Boon, Vileoak Ash, and Bitter Wind. Bitter Wind is always the better option over Beastwood Ash unless the mob has specific immunities or vulnerabilities. It does more damage even with our modifiers factored in and it is almost twice as mana efficient.

So there you have it, a bunch of dumb numbers about ranger spells. If you have any questions or comments or just want to be a nerd and talk about ranger math you can reach me in-game, my character is Fews on The Rathe. I hope this helped someone, or at least you found it interesting.
Crunkfresh
Ranger

Re: Elemental Nukes (long post, pictures included)

Postby Gladare » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am

If it's a burn, you only mem 3 spells. Forecasted, focused, summer's.
Gladare
Pathfinder

Postby Crunkfresh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 am

no fight is a burn for my guild. even velishan takes upwards of 7 minutes.
Crunkfresh
Ranger

Postby Gladare » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Ah. Thanks for the parses though. I always tell my rangers to go fire boon, fire, ice just by eyeballing the values. Multibind all 6 (forecasted, focused, fire boon, fire, ice, summer's) and drop the middle 3 when mana isn't an issue.

Feel free to check out TSM. We have an afternoon(est) and evening raid force now. I wouldn't mind having another ranger that cares about his performance.
Gladare
Pathfinder

Postby deadman1204 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 pm

also good info for what to have memmed when grouping
deadman1204
Ranger

Return to Research and Development