Fletching

Found a new recipe you gotta tell about, here is the place.

Fletching

Postby Gaiyle Forcewinds » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:15 pm

Hello all, Great site! Glad to see something up to date for a change. Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm a lvl 51 halfling ranger on Bb, and am looking to get my Fletching past 202. I am by no means rich, heh, but ive got a couple k to spend. Any suggestions on the cheapest, least time consuming route? I have heard some of the deity stuff is good for past 202, but cannot find a smith to make the surefall fletching kit for me, and theres never any on sale in the bazaar. Any help is greatly appreciated:)

Gaiyle Forcewinds
Gaiyle Forcewinds
Ranger

Postby Zaknafei » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:43 pm

The GoD arrows will get you to 227- Thats Talosian Rock and Chuck of Discordant Stone ... I think are the named- other than thats its all cheat store-bought stuff.
Zaknafei
Ranger

Postby bemien » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:51 pm

Well, to get past 202 you really have 2 options, spend money, or farm. There really isn't a route to go that is both cheap and not time consuming. If you don't have the plat to spend, my reccomendation is making acryllia arrows, by farming acryila in grimling forest or acrylia caverns, and either condensed ice, flame, or shadow for the tips. this is very cheap, but highly time consuming.

As a half elf karana worshipper myself, I got to 300 fletching by using the steel arrows with parts bought in surefall glade pretty much exclusively. This is not really that expensive per part, but if you want to use this method to go from 202 to 300, it adds up very quickly. Oh, a thing about the surefall fletching kit. Last time I checked, it was no trade, so you have to make it yourself, you can't find someone else to make it for you.

I believe the smithing trivial on the surefall fletching kit is 168. The trivial to smith teh arrowheads for the steel arrows is 188. I raised my smithing skill from roughly 100 to 188 solely on these arrowheadds, and they are crafted using the small bricks of steel which only cost 6 plat each. The arrow shafts are made from the large bricks costing 55 plat each

My reccomendation for speed, but not the most expensive way, is make arrowheads and sell back what you make, until your smithing gets high enough to make the fletching kit. The arrowheads sell back for a few plat each to merchants, you do lose some money, but they sell back for enough that you don't really lose much.

As I said in the beginning though, if you don't want to spend much money at all, acrylia arrows are the way to go. If you follow that path though, you will either need to find a smith or raise your smithing skill yourself to make the arrowshafts from the acryila. Pretty much any route of raising fletching from 202 to 300 is also going to involve raising smithing unless you have the money to raise your fletching by making bows from storebought parts exclusively. That is the fastest, but most expensive way, to raise fletching over 202.
bemien
Pathfinder

Postby Burlwood » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:48 pm

I've been well served by Ceinwein's Ultimate Fletching Guide.
Burlwood
72 Ranger of Drinal
Burlwood
Ranger

Postby Buidhe » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:15 pm

I've managed to get my fletching to 213 so far and have used only one method past 202.. Shadow Tipped Acrylia Arrows.

The acrylia I've farmed mostly, from the edges of the availability (DSP) to the highly available Acrylia Caverns. At your age, this will take a group, but xp should be good along with the drops of the occassional chunk of metal. Your smithing skill will need to be close to the 54 trivial for the shaping of shafts from the ore, but that's not a difficult or time consuming goal.

The arrowheads, made from Shak Dratha drops in the caves to the north of Shar Val, require a smithing skill of 115 to trivial, again not a great stretch if you've gotten your fletching to 202. The trick to harvesting condensed shadow is to know that the Shak Dratha only spawn at night, so you will need to time-check with someone off-Luclin to know when to kill the aliens that PH for the Dratha. I've collected two or three stacks of condensed shadow in one lunar night.. that's a bunch of arrowheads.

These farming expeditions are time consuming, to be sure, but not as much so as the alternatives in GoD or OoW, and much less dangerous.

The trivial for the completed Shadow Tipped Acrylia Arrows is 268, which is much higher than the 202 you're starting with, so expect failures. Just get your WIS as high as you can before you start so as to skill-up as quickly as you can, and pump up DEX to retain as many arrows for sale as possible. I sell the arrows for 2-5pp each in the bazaar regularly, so you can make money as well as advance skill if you farm the parts and pieces.

I expect to use this method to take me to Grand Mastery with little cash expenditure.. just don't expect this to happen by Wednesday; GMing fletching is not cheap, easy or quick in anyone's book.

Good luck. I do love to see rangers fletch.. which is kinda like seeing firemen put out fire.. it's just the way things ought to be.
Buidhe
Ranger

Postby Aquendar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:47 pm

Buidhe wrote: Just get your WIS as high as you can before you start so as to skill-up as quickly as you can, and pump up DEX to retain as many arrows for sale as possible. I sell the arrows for 2-5pp each in the bazaar regularly, so you can make money as well as advance skill if you farm the parts and pieces.

Your chance to skill up is determined, in fletching, by the highest of Dex, Wis or Int. CHANCE TO SKILL UP ONLY.

You chance of success is dependent ONLY on your SKILL, not on any stats.

Before my Dex was maxed and before Wunshi I used to ask an enchanter for a Boon of the Garou or Night's Dark Terror, or get an Fo7 if I could. That would max my Dex. However, anything over 227 or so Dex brings very diminished returns (skill up chances don't seem to change much), just from observation, not parsing.

Be ready though. I did a run of 40 combines and went from 211-220. I then ran and farmed again, sat down and did 40 and went from 220-221. That's right, one run got me 9, next run got me 1.
Aquendar
Ranger

Postby Ladwenae » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:47 pm

The smartest thing to do is get Dex or wis as high as possible, because until you can get 400 in dex you have reduced skillup chance if you fail the combine, if on the other hand you have 400 you have the same skillup chance on a fail as on a success. ( for smithing skillup its strength )
So getting Wunshi is a must, Shm AA ancestral Aid increase dex and str so going to guildhall for smithing skillups (except cultural) is a good idea if wunshi alone isnt enought to get you past 400.

Good luck, I sold 13010 arrows to a vendor to get from 258 to 300 making tunare arrows in one session, and since they threaten with making the tunare/karana arrows lower triv soon ( or at least make them harder to make for skillups ) it might be a good idea to cap this one soon if you have plans to do so.

Edit: Aquendar was faster than me. I made close to 400 combines from 290 to 291, but "only" 600 from 291 to 300 so as usual with tradeskilling its all about the RNG.
I dont agree on your assessment that its unimportant with high dex past 227.
Ladwenae - rangering again!
Ladwenae
Site Admin

Postby Buidhe » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Thanks, Aquendar.. I've been laboring under a misconception for a while. This will make my fletching easier to set up for now.

However, anything over 227 or so Dex brings very diminished returns (skill up chances don't seem to change much), just from observation, not parsing.

Even better news, as my Dex is higher than this normally.
Buidhe
Ranger

Postby Ladwenae » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:17 pm

Its 400 before its no gain, confirmed by devs.
Ladwenae - rangering again!
Ladwenae
Site Admin

Postby Aquendar » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:29 pm

DIdn't say you got no gain. Just that from my observation I was getting as many skillups at 227 dex as I was at 290. But if the Devs confirm that 400 is optimal, I won't argue with that and make sure I have Wunshi's several dozen stacks to try and a quiet place in the guild hall :). Random number generators tend to skew observation.
Aquendar
Ranger

Postby ChelequaRom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:57 am

If you are friends with a tinker, shaped sedgewood compound bows-215 trivial- will fill in a gap there. The cams are cheap to tinker, and the bows have good tribute value. Sedge branch availability and price will vary, they are a LDoN forage.
ChelequaRom
Pathfinder

Postby Ladas » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:06 am

Rumor has it that they are looking to make changes to fletching, and when those changes go in, the current cultural fletching paths will be changed from their current 335 trivials to something much less.
Ladas
University Professor

Postby Tullaian » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:23 am

Ladas wrote:Rumor has it that they are looking to make changes to fletching, and when those changes go in, the current cultural fletching paths will be changed from their current 335 trivials to something much less.

This is not a rumor. Ngreth (tradeskill dev) confirmed this will happen in the eqtraders channel. He said it won't happen any time very soon but to get to 300 before feburary at the latest. cultural will be nerfed and pop bow components are to become 'more common'
Tullaian
Ranger

Postby Kuldail » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:06 pm

Well, that sucks. Glad I'm working on maxing fletching now (up to about 275 or 280). I guess I'll have to tribute those PoP bows I have in the bonk since that will probably get nerfed if they're going to make the parts more common.
Kuldail -- Retired
Stromm
Kuldail
Pathfinder

Postby Wandaas » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:08 pm

Kuldail wrote:Well, that sucks. Glad I'm working on maxing fletching now (up to about 275 or 280). I guess I'll have to tribute those PoP bows I have in the bonk since that will probably get nerfed if they're going to make the parts more common.

You can start donating one to the poor Rangers...

/ooc I'm a Poor Ranger -- Looking for Stonewood Compound Bow

Rumor has it that they are looking to make changes to fletching, and when those changes go in, the current cultural fletching paths will be changed from their current 335 trivials to something much less.

This is not a rumor. Ngreth (tradeskill dev) confirmed this will happen in the eqtraders channel. He said it won't happen any time very soon but to get to 300 before feburary at the latest. cultural will be nerfed and pop bow components are to become 'more common'

sux00rz
Wandaas
Pathfinder

Next

Return to Tradeskillers unite