Info - 8 years away

General Discussion Area!

Info - 8 years away

Postby pleides » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:51 am

Hi folks, your thoughts please?
I let my account decend in to dormancy in 2006. Recently I have thought about getting back in to the game. I played on Firona Vie server back then. My ranger was 68/69 I think (it was a long time ago to remember all the details). I am not sure on how many AA he had but it was quite a few. I had just gotten my Swifty and in the process of getting EC when there was a glitch and I lost the epic. Disappointed, I logged off and never returned. I am seriously thinking of coming back as I have more time on my hands and feel I need to reclaim my right. I worked bloody hard getting to where I was in the game and I have always hankered about returning. Any ideas about going about it? What should I do etc if the GM's are less than helpful..... Your thoughts would be most welcome. ( Alan/ UK player).
pleides
Ranger

Re: Info - 8 years away

Postby Astroshak » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:04 pm

You will find the game a very different place.

I do not know what FV was like back in 2006, in terms of finding people to group with, but the group game is nearly dead and has been for years. So, that's one difference. Another is simply a result of the march of time : there is a TON of content, a TON more levels, and a SHIT TON more AA's for you to obtain now. One unavoidable consequence of such a break, as well, is that gear you thought "beyond uber" is now too weak to use in current content.

The lay of the land has grown considerably in scope; and a couple places (Freeport, East/West Commonlands, North Ro/Oasis, to name a few) are not quite as you recall either.

One thing to consider though - cost. You can still subscribe (and, if you truly decide to come back, I'd suggest that you do so) but I'd advise waiting a few months. The game is somewhat Free to Play, and you are well below the max level you can reach without paying a thing. I think that is level 95, but it could be 100 - that depends on whether or not Rain of Fear entered the FTP realm or not. The primary three disadvantages of going Free to Play are : low AA cap (and it costs money to increase the cap - though I am not fully familiar with those details I understand that the increasers apply to the starting cap, not your current number, so if you've got 3000 AA's and the cap was 1000, the first increasers will not allow you to get more), cannot use higher level mercenaries, and cannot use (most? all?) augmentations.
Astroshak
Huntmaster

Postby pleides » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks Astroshak, plenty for me to think about then. Might be best if I play for free for a while and get the feel of it all again and check things out.
pleides
Ranger

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:15 am

pleides wrote:Thanks Astroshak, plenty for me to think about then. Might be best if I play for free for a while and get the feel of it all again and check things out.

You can level to 100 without paying a penny these days. If you can find groups it might be tolerable otherwise it'll most likely be a hideous slog. Of course there's nothing to stop you rolling a second free account (Shaman say) to make things much easier.

If you are dedicated enough on FV using Kronos and farming plat you could end up at level 100 and nicely geared without needing to spend any real life currency whatsoever. Not something I would recommend but it's possible. There's a substantial xp bonus on FV but please remember it's a US server so most of the population will be in bed when you are able to play.

Antonius Bayle is the only European server but lacks the relaxed loot rules and xp bonus of FV.

Schadenfreude
Shakespeare

Postby pleides » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:53 am

I have got my account back and have for personal reasons decided to play on Errollisi .
I must say I am shocked and somewhat saddened by the way some areas oof the game have developed.
For instance mounts... I mean WTF.. I saw a ranger on a horse and thought what a knob. We are masters of free travel not glorified knights !
You will never see my ranger on a horse... ever. Then Augs, we're they really ever necessary? Just level up and get better gear and use your skill at playing your toon.
My 68 ranger stays on foot , uses a bow and solo,s mainly. I haven't got my Epic but when I do I will solo it.
Overall my view is the game was made to easy and now the issues of freebies to keep players interested ( at a cost) is mind blowing.
I had better stop as I could go on for ever. It just saddened me to see so much twaddle.
Pleides 68 Ranger (with no silly name aka Outrider/ Plainstalker etc.
pleides
Ranger

Postby pleides » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 am

Incase you ask, yes the devs are looking at my Epic loss but after looking at the state of the game I am determined to it do it solo.
pleides
Ranger

Return to General