Old EQ'er, new ranger

Want to know where to hunt or get that drop, here's the place.

Old EQ'er, new ranger

Postby Dirrt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 am

Greetings

I have been an EQ'er since PoP, with a lengthy break between TBS and just a couple months ago. I recently started a ranger, and on my wife's account a wizard who have been levelling together. We took the plunge and heroic'ed them with SC, and now sitting with the basic "gimmie gear" and a little knowledge of how the class plays. We do have J5 mercenaries, tank/healer combo.

My question(s):

Where is/are good places to exp? I have been sitting in HoT lower and while the meter is moving, I feel there could be better exp out there that I just don't know of.

What gear is recommended at this level? Again, just restarting several expansions behind and pretty much overwhelmed. I also have cruised these boards, but a lot of the information is years old and I would guess some could be deemed obsolete.

thanks to all!
Dirrt
The "Original" Dirrt Napper
Dirrt
Ranger

Re: Old EQ'er, new ranger

Postby Shartan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Work your way through HoT progression and named for augment/gear upgrades then transition to Veil of Alaris zones like Argath, Valley of Lunanyn, or Rain of Fear zones like Shard's Landing. If the level 85 hardcore heritage revamped zones were up, I'd try those as well. Unfortunately, I think that ended a week or two ago. Anyways, welcome back to EQ.
Shartan
Ranger

Postby muvien » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Shartan got it spot on really. Follow the progression path abit in House of Thule expansion and then move on to Veil of Alaris and then Rain of Fear after that.

If you're just looking for a place to xp atm at ....lvl 85? Then grounds is a good spot for its xp bonus and in a few levels Valley of Lunayen will be a great spot too.

For plain xp theres also the dayli tasks in both PoK and Ethernere West Karana.
muvien
Ranger

Postby Dirrt » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:46 am

Thanks for the reply!

Like I said, I been sitting in HoT, and its mind numbing. The named are far to much for me to handle, I tried one of the dogs in the yard and it efficiently chewed my team to shreds. I suppose I can sit in the corner and pull the trash for a level or two and try it again, since the yard trash is still fairly difficult to beat even with the two characters and their J5 merscenaries I have done one of the heroic adventures and actually completed it, without being able to take the named that popped. I may toss those into the mix to break up the dullness.

I do remember it being a long grind to level, but I don't remember it being this long of a grind. Guess I just need to suck it up and go!

Thanks again, Im sure I will have more questions down the road. This is my first "hybrid" toon, my old main was a necro. Im used to running away from stuff, not straight to it.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Arahgorn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:38 am

Well, you've got a lot of learning to do about melee classes it sounds like! I'd definitely recommend learning what all of your activated offensive AAs do for your DPS power, as well as getting in the habit of hitting them when they're up. You also have some defensive tanking abilities, albeit not great, but enough that you can get through a tight spot.

I also recommend getting your ranger some lifetap weapons. You can help lifetap heal yourself through melee procs while meleeing with them. A nice bonus rangers get from them is the ability to critical heal off the procs, as both spell damage AAs and heal boosting AAs. This can also earn you "double criticals", where the lifetap procs as a spell dmg crit, followed by a heal crit (quadruple heal amount).

Last thing I'd say is to focus on AAs. If you're having trouble with monsters in House of Thule, Veil of Alaris mobs are going to pimp smack you. We're long past the days of being able to level past content. You must have a solid basis in AAs in order to progress through the game without feeling like you're always behind.
Arahgorn
Pathfinder

Postby Dirrt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 pm

With so many AAs I am not sure what they all do, been playing around with them a bit last couple days. I have autogrant popped on, so it looks like all of them are up to date according to my level.

I been fooling aroud in Tokk with the Rallosian ogres, and have gotten comfortable enough to pull the packs to headshot them off one at a time. Groupem up and mass root works pretty good. Dinged out 87 and was finally able to take out the named Captain with my healer mercenary. I picked up a weapon in the bazaar that procs a stun, it seems to help and has relatively the same stats as the heroic character gear i started with. So now Im running a stun proc and a DD disease proc. i will poke around allas and see what kind of aug or other weapon i can get with the healing proc.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Dirrt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 am

Been awhile!

Just turned eq back on after yet another little break.

Sitting at 98 now, scooped up epic 2.0 for both the ranger and neecro on second account. Tried some more exping today and its safe to say, I got it all wrong. Spent sn hour in Shards, burnt a lesson, and managed 1%... yep... one.

I know its a timesink, I know Im horribly undergeared... but cmon.... 1%?!?

May have to go back to Aleris to grind out the next level or two. Have spotted some very nice stuff in the bazaar, but requires 100+ to use.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Dirrt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 am

Went back to Aleris. Figured I would suck it up and just grind.

Finished out 98 and most of 99 in a couple days time mowing down farmers in the Valley. Had a little SC to burn, so I picked up a bottle of adventure 3, and just did a loop... over and over and over... good thing, Im an hour or so from 100. Also good thing, after popping back to the GH for rebuffs, I sold all the trash and prebought all of my spells with a nice chunk of platinum remaining for a couple of seriously needed gear upgrades.

I will look into getting a magelo, or finding out how to get back into the one I used to have.

As for moving along in the quest for 105, I have a feeling (or is it a hope?) that Valley will green out and there will be another good place to grind. Are HA's viable? I do have a boxed neecro at 90ish who can go along for the ride, both toons are epic 2.0 with j5 healers if needed... just wondering if the time invested is comparable to regular old grinding routines.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Kiras » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:00 pm

HAs very significantly in difficulty. The super easy ones are Gribble in Dead Hills and Marla Gaslow in Ethernere West Karana. Gribbles are the faster of the two, but the mobs are more packed in. HAs scale based on the level of the highest toon in the instance.Some of them have a mix of even cons and blues, but don't go into a HA expecting the whole thing to be headshot fodder.

Other HAs can be significantly harder. In COTF, particularly Captain Cooper in DH is on the tougher end. And of course, later expansions.

Daily HAs gotten in PoK are a mix across multiple expansions. They're very much hit and miss.

I think that the xp is structured differently in COTF HAs compared to others. COTF xp is almost all on the final hail, so it's a good strategy to almost finish a HA, then hit lesson of the devoted, hail, then do another before LOTD runs out.

As a side note, TBM group currency is tradeable and commonly for sale in bazaar. That may help with gearing up if you have platinum to work with.
Kiras
Ranger

Postby Dirrt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 am

Took a peek into TBM, and what that has to offer. There are *tons* of currency for sale, buuuuut... all the augs are locked behind progression and faction by what I can read. Im thinking I may spring for the T1 TDS gear. Still on the line about it.

Its a fairly substantial upgrade to what Im wearing now, which is mostly T1 RoF. As I stand now, at 100, VoA named flatten me quick, even with my merc healer. Havent tried boxing them yet, mainly because it would be mostly a waste of time since Im attempting to upgrade expansions, not downgrade. Granted, the neecro could possibly use some new toys, she is kinda on the back burner for now.

Frustrating, but Ill figure something out... even if it involves killing LB targets for the next year.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Dirrt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 pm

So I went ahead and dropped a *lot* of plat on a full set of Castaway gear and a couple better weapons. What a difference some gear does these days! Went from getting smacked around and constsntly dying in Valley to easily taking on a pair of CoTF mobs. The merc healer keeps up pretty well, even ran a couple of Gribbles adventures. Between these and dailies, the exp is again flowing pretty well. Getting close to 101 now with only a few hours of actual concentration.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Dirrt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:15 am

Update,

Currently sitting at 104 and some change. Hoping to be able to hit 105 sometime this week. Got into a group that was farming EoK named, and the exp flowed like proverbial wine. Even managed to snatch up some armor for the big ding.
Dirrt
Ranger

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 am

Dirrt wrote:Update,

Currently sitting at 104 and some change. Hoping to be able to hit 105 sometime this week. Got into a group that was farming EoK named, and the exp flowed like proverbial wine. Even managed to snatch up some armor for the big ding.

If you can try and get into groups that are doing the "circle" of Goblins in Frontier Mountains between the Druid circle and the the entrance to Droga. Almost all the mobs at this camp are blue cons and humanoid so Rangers are in-demand.

There's quite a lot of upgrades for you from the two names that frequently pop in this camp as well as more than ample xp.

Schadenfreude
Shakespeare

Postby Dirrt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:17 am

Ding 105!

Grouped with some guildies in Droga for a few hours and knocked it out. Not used to the group game anymore, so it was definitely a different experience. Got to pop all of my EoK pieces that I had saved, and finally equip the MakTak Attack that I lucked into... Not sure I really like the 2H game, but statwise its far superior to what I had. This brings me to another Q.... 2H, dual wield, or sword n board? this is assuming all pieces are EoK t2 group items... I have been running dual wield for the entire time I been levelling, and its constantly a wonder if I would be able to do better otherwise.
Dirrt
Ranger

Return to The hunt / Newbie zone