gamepad/autofire

Want to know where to hunt or get that drop, here's the place.

gamepad/autofire

Postby penelope » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:44 am

There used to be a thing about how to set up autofire for a gamepad.

I was wondering if its possible to get a usb gamepad or joystick for a pc, as i dont have the relevant interface on my pc to attach the `normal` gamepad plug in.

tbh i never liked gamepads, which is why i have never owned a console.

FOr those who have this setup already, are you still convinced it makes fire rate faster? COmbined with headshot this could be a real boon.

IF i went down the autofire root, would it make any difference getting the 10 17 bow? OR would the delay on the bow then be irrelevant?
"Lucy is the only girl for me!"
penelope
Pathfinder

Autofire

Postby cbarbour » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:07 am

SoE added a feature a while back that nearly eliminates the need for a gamepad (or any other method needed to continually fire without pressing a key constantly). You can make a hotkey with the /autofire command.

Because of the way they implemented it, some will say it isn't as fast as mashing the button yourself, but I don't think the difference is significant.
cbarbour
Ranger

Postby Dharszolin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:50 am

I would say the device you would be looking for instead of a gamepad would be a Belkin Nostromo.
Dharszolin
Ranger

Postby Astroshak » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 am

Back "in the day" people were using gamepads (or other, optional controllers with some sort of either a turbo or an auto function) in order to hammer the Ranged Attack button endlessly.

Then Sony decided to help us out by implementing the /autofire command. But, all was not golden.

/Autofire has a built in delay, meant to simulate lag. When this command first went in, people did comparisons and found that for laggier connections, or slower PC's, /autofire was faster than using their controller. On the flip side, those with fast connections that had little to no lag found that it was still faster to use a controller instead of the /autofire command.

I remember reading something from a Fan Faire that they could remove the lag-simulating delay, but I don't recall if they ever actually did it.
Astroshak
Huntmaster

Postby penelope » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:35 pm

didnt you need a macro or utility or something to get the gamepad working with eq?

IS there such a thing as a usb joystick, or is that something i made up in the scary place called my brain?

As i am on 8mb adsl braodband, i would assume that my connection is fast enough to make a difference, although i in uk.....and AB server is otherside of pond ??
penelope
Pathfinder

Postby samoadeadshot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:54 am

The nostromo is basically like an ergonomic extra programmable keyboard. It comes with a utility to program all of the buttons, works fine in eq without the need to setup anything 'special' in eq other than to tell the nostromo software to load up a specific nostromo config profile when you run eq.

I used to use it for autofire back in the day but then the autofire button came out and I used it instead. You have to map it to an F11 or F12 key etc that is then mapped under your eq options/keys for your range attack button to avoid spamming numbers if your cursor is clicked into a text window.

Because of the way that autofire automatically turns off when a mob dies I believe I may go back to using the nostromo version though. You have to constantly monitor your autofire to see if it's on or off after a mob dies to headshot if you don't have the next mob targetted in time. This thread reminded me that the ghetto oldschool way isn't all that bad.

Regardless of the autofire thing I love the nostromo and have a hard time playing without one. Everything fits at my fingertips a lot better than a keyboard and more comfortably. I'm tempted to buy another one so that in the event that my current one ever dies I don't have to wait for a replacement to be shipped. =p

If you decide to puchase one PM me if you are curious about how to get it setup or how I have my hotkeys mapped.
samoadeadshot
Ranger

Postby Rathmorg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:49 am

I to would highly recommend the nostromo. My keyboard is just a chat tool now.
Rathmorg
Ranger

Postby Fllar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:10 am

Between my Nostromo and mouse, I do a lot more things better and more comfortably (ergonomically) than I could otherwise. I highly recomend them.
Fllar
Ranger

Postby AuldianKB » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:17 am

The good old autofire.exe, for hitting that /forage /autoinventory macro! Not sure if it's available anywhere anymore though... Was great for spell skillups and foraging.

Well, I don't use that anymore... But I think pretty much any gamepad software has that kind of feature (pressing a button every n secs).

Personally, I use G15 (blue) and MX1000. G15 macros are great stuff, and MX1k is good enought for any online FPS. (And gotta love that small LCD display with teamspeak/msn/etc.)
AuldianKB
Ranger

Postby penelope » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 am

Well, I don't use that anymore... But I think pretty much any gamepad software has that kind of feature (pressing a button every n secs).

can it be set to press every 0.5 secs or even 0.1 ?

I use G15 (blue) and MX1000. what are they?? joysticks?
penelope
Pathfinder

Postby AuldianKB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:23 am

Autofire.exe could actually be set to press a specific button every n millisecods (prolly those gamepad software too), so, yeah you can do intervals under one second. Maybe someone has a copy laying around still and could post it? I think it used to be in eqhunter, I've lost my copy.

Logitech G15 = keyboard with macro support and 18 macro keys
Logitech MX1000 = cordless mouse

G15 has some kind of scripting language too, maybe that could be used to press a key with specific interval too, never looked into it myself.
AuldianKB
Ranger

Postby Aani2120 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:23 am

AuldianKB wrote:Autofire.exe could actually be set to press a specific button every n millisecods (prolly those gamepad software too), so, yeah you can do intervals under one second. Maybe someone has a copy laying around still and could post it? I think it used to be in eqhunter, I've lost my copy.

Logitech G15 = keyboard with macro support and 18 macro keys
Logitech MX1000 = cordless mouse

G15 has some kind of scripting language too, maybe that could be used to press a key with specific interval too, never looked into it myself.

If you have range attack mapped to a hotkey, or on an ability key, can set it up with a delay and a loop iirc. Easier to do with a hotkey'd ability though. You record your actions following the directions on the lcd screen. Used it for language skill ups after getting the bloodfields charm heh.
Aani2120
Pathfinder

Postby Ashleaf » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:00 pm

The other nice thing about the gamepad solution was that every time you shot an arrow, your character pivoted to realign with the mob. This was particularly useful at the tables camp where a ranger could just set up an autofire "macro" and then spin in place like a turret as the kiter would run mobs in a circle. The new /autofire does not reposition you automatically, but does turn off at death, which can be a nice safeguard at times.
Ashleaf
Ranger

Postby penelope » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:36 am

ash if you have used it in the past, do you still have a copy of it?

I did websearch but didnt find it.

AM a bit skeptical, that it is possible to make a bow fire faster than /autofire.

ALthough the auto track part mentioned above sounds a great feature!
penelope
Pathfinder

Postby penelope » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 am

just for bit of retro spammage....

SOme funny comments!

penelope
Pathfinder

Next

Return to The hunt / Newbie zone