gamepad/autofire

Want to know where to hunt or get that drop, here's the place.

From my guild boards...

Postby Arvarien_MT » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 pm

- regarding the same (nearly the same) program - except you don't need to reset any delay thing that changes everytime they patch eqgame.exe...

---

People have asked me about what I meant by "Autofire without /autofire". Well, here you go.

If you've ever PL'd someone (or had a PL'd character) but didn't want them to be completely useless, well, this is for you. I specifically state that you should only use this program when you are ACTUALLY AT YOUR KEYBOARD - if you are not, you are breaking the EULA, and if SOE nabs you, well, enjoy your vacation.

Wayyyyy back, before SOE put in the /autofire switch - there was a little program that could that made Rangers rejoice in their pants and made Tunare weep with happiness that all was right in the Rangering world. Autofire.

(Note: This is NOT my program - it used to be hosted on EQHunter, but I think that site has long gone the way of the bit bucket. All credit for making it goes to whomever DID make it - I think EQOutrider also has the binary too, somewhere. All risks are yours, blah blah blah.).

Now, this isn't just used for Ranged attacks - although it can be used for that too - but I've found it more useful to train things like spell skills, tracking, foraging, etc. while I'm still at my desk, but don't want to clickclickclick my way to carpal tunnel syndrome.

Uncompress it into an empty folder - you'll get three files (this only works in XP/2000 for sure - I don't know about Vista):
Autofire.readme
Autofire_0.4.cfg
Autofire_0.4.exe

Execute the .exe file. You'll get a nice little box with the following info in it:

Input What key you want to ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE autofire with
Output What keystroke you want autofire to press for you
Update delta (milliseconds) How much time between keystrokes
Set / Toggle radio button Set: Set the timer (while the button is on set, autofire does not execute)
Toggle: Allows autofire to run (you can change on the fly)

Say you want to do automatic autoforaging, no matter where you go, without tying it to an input key like turning/etc (although that's even easier):

Input: Set this to the * key on the number pad (click in the input window, then press the * on the number pad)
Output: Set this to CAPS LOCK (click in the output window, then press CAPS LOCK)
Update delta (milliseconds) : You'll have to goof around with this to find an appropriate timer; Remember, it's in MILLISECONDS (1/1000ths of a second). So setting 1000 = 1 s. Say you want your forage to click every 16 seconds - you would enter in here 16000.
Set/Toggle - I just keep it on Toggle all the time, honestly.

Now, put a hotkey somewhere in one of your hotbars (in my example I use the 2nd hotbar) - ie. Drag the Forage ability to it, or if you want autoinventory going too, make your own hotkey for your ability and put it in the hotbar:

Special Name: Forage
/doability 1
/pause 4
/autoinventory

For argument's sake, I'm placing my new Forage hotkey in the 2nd hotbar in the 1st Hotbutton spot (if you want a spell executed, drag it from your spell bar into the hotbutton area).

Go into your Options (Alt O) and click the KEY tab. Select your category (for this example, it's Hotbar 2), and find the Command for where you placed your hotkey (for me, again, it's Hotbutton 1). Click in the keypress area, and set it to what your OUTPUT value is (ie. CAPS LOCK).

Make sure the radio button is set to TOGGLE, and minimize (don't close it) the autofire window.

Now, this is what happens:

1. You press your INPUT key (in this case, * on the number pad).
2. Autofire times down from the time delta entry. Once it hits zero, it does a keypress for your OUTPUT key (in this case, CAPS LOCK).
3. EQ picks up that CAPS LOCK was pressed, and checks it's key settings. It finds that CAPS LOCK = Hotbutton 1 on Hotbar 2, and essentially 'clicks it'.
4. My forage key (which is in that hotbutton spot) executes a /doability 1 (which is my Forage skill), does a small pause, and then executes /autoinventory (which will place whatever I foraged into an empty slot in my backpacks/inventory - if there are no empty slots, it WILL FALL TO THE GROUND).
5. Return to #2

If you press the INPUT key again (for this example, * on the numeric keypad), Autofire STOPS execution.

The neat thing about this is if you make multiple folders and copy Autofire into each one, they can execute separately without interfering as long as they have different triggers (INPUT) and different OUTPUT keys.

I'm sure you can see where this is going. This means you can skill up foraging, tracking, and spell skills (as long as you are not moving) without getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

Once again, and I can't stress this enough, you need to be at your keyboard when using this, otherwise it is against the EULA. I have gotten tells from GM's before asking if I was at my keyboard - believe me, if I hadn't been I'm sure I would have gotten booted.

Use it wisely!
Arvarien_MT
Ranger

Postby Kanwell » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:24 am

I have a copy of the autofire exe, toss me a PM for the link if you want it
Edit: I see the guy above me already posted it

Towards the end of my playing, I let a friend borrow my ranger for foraging purposes in Western Wastes, she was using the G15 keyboard with a loop macro to forage for her.

Logged in once and had an in-game email from a GM saying that they had seen my character doing this, and was given a verbal warning, or something along those lines. I can't really remember what it all said anymore.

Bottom line is, may not get ban-hammered first offense, I didn't, but it doesn't mean they can't do it
Retired 80 Huntmaster
Kanwell
Outrider

Postby Reren » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:08 am

Ashleaf wrote:The other nice thing about the gamepad solution was that every time you shot an arrow, your character pivoted to realign with the mob. This was particularly useful at the tables camp where a ranger could just set up an autofire "macro" and then spin in place like a turret as the kiter would run mobs in a circle. The new /autofire does not reposition you automatically, but does turn off at death, which can be a nice safeguard at times.

yes the auto aim from spamming the range button was nice but it went away when /autofire was introduced. bout the only real benefit from the autofire.exe prog now is to forage while afk and according to the eula thats a bannable offense. but its only illegal if u get caught
Reren
Ranger

Postby Astroshak » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Actually, the auro-centering when you hit the range attack button lasted a bit after the /autofire command was introduced. It just sucks that they removed it later on, as it made an awesome way of aiming Hail of Arrows.
Astroshak
Huntmaster

Postby Whitman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:20 am

Does the auto-realignment to face teh mobs still work with the old one-shot range attack? That would make it trivial to make a HoA hotkey:

Line 1: target nearest mob-key (mine is 'e')
Line 2: shoot once
Line 3: cast HoA

But seeing how simple that is, iIm sure someone would have thought of it ages ago if it were possible...right? Right?
Retired. Goodbye, and thanks for all the tips.
Whitman
Warder

Postby Hoheyd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 am

JFYI:
Autofire prog does NOT work with WinEQ!
Huntmaster Hoheyd Thunderwind Raging Fury
my Stuff!
Hoheyd
Ranger

Postby Astroshak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 am

Whitman wrote:Does the auto-realignment to face teh mobs still work with the old one-shot range attack? That would make it trivial to make a HoA hotkey:

Line 1: target nearest mob-key (mine is 'e')
Line 2: shoot once
Line 3: cast HoA

But seeing how simple that is, iIm sure someone would have thought of it ages ago if it were possible...right? Right?

Nope, not unless they reverted it back. I used to have both a Range Attack button, and an /Autofire button, expressely for aiming HoA, until they changed it. A reversion would be nice, but as far as I know, the days of Range Attack centering us on our target are long gone.
Astroshak
Huntmaster

Postby Whitman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 am

Thought so - but it would have been nice.
Retired. Goodbye, and thanks for all the tips.
Whitman
Warder

Postby Arvarien_MT » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Hoheyd wrote:JFYI:

That's odd. I'll have to test that, considering I'm now running Vista x64 and the last time I ran it was under WinXP...I seem to remember it running fine when I was boxing using WinEQ (except for the box I'd have to leave its hotbutton blank, otherwise it would be doing all kinds of crazy things...whoops..)
Arvarien_MT
Ranger

Postby Reren » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Hoheyd wrote:JFYI:

works just fine for me on windows xp and wineq 2.0 or whatever incarnation it is now.

ck ur set up prolly dont have the keys mapped right.
Reren
Ranger

Postby Feare » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Works with WinEQ2 on Win7 and Vista.
Feare - 85/900 RNG (FV)
Feare
Ranger

Postby Hoheyd » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:54 am

hmm will recheck it, it's few years ago when I tried it last time.
Huntmaster Hoheyd Thunderwind Raging Fury
my Stuff!
Hoheyd
Ranger

Previous

Return to The hunt / Newbie zone