Hail of Arrows

Rants and Raves

Hail of Arrows

Postby Rinamas » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:02 pm

you know, i realy like this spell, but trying to line up to fire it drives me crazy, eq needs to make either a. hit boxes bigger, or b. LoS a little wider on it imo. waste so much mana on misses.
"Whether our lives are meaningful to us depends on how we judge them."
Rinamas
Ranger

Postby Sarkaukar » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:13 pm

Hehe, dont use autofire...:)) and remember, you can still twist without moving to line up the shot.
Sarkaukar
Pathfinder

Postby Rinamas » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:29 pm

don't usualy bow anything, but have used it bowing ture, and thats somewhat easier can watch the arrows path and line it up, but still, just too hard to line up effectivly
"Whether our lives are meaningful to us depends on how we judge them."
Rinamas
Ranger

Postby Xodar » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:34 am

Sark was referring to the fact that if you manually hit the ranged attack key (does not work with autofire) it automatically centers you on the mobs hitbox.
Plainswalker Xodar
officer <Bhur Gcairde>
Tribunal server
Xodar
Forest Stalker

Postby Aredhiel » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:35 pm

i always use autofire (the rare times i use my bow) and whenever i clik HoA it always works w/autofire for me......not sure why you guys saying it does not?!?
the soul would have no rainbow, if the eyes had shed no tears
~what we do in life....echoes in eternity~
Aredhiel
Ranger

Postby jerle » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:01 am

They aren't saying it doesn't work with autofire, they are just saying don't use autofire to help line up the HoA shot easier is all.
Jerle Ravensnight
Reviction
Emarr
jerle
Ranger

Postby Wandaas » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:05 am

What does the spell do?
Wandaas
Pathfinder

Postby Elimas » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:35 am

It's like a narrow directional AE, firing a "hail" (4 or 5) arrows in a direct line from where you are facing. I moved my compass around till it was lined up with my manual ranged shots so I can "aim" without having to turn off atk and line up using ranged. Hit's everything in it's narrow path for a ways (not super far). So when solo-ing, line-em-up and knock em down.

Interesting tidbits - works with TS (very nice), works on Yar (also nice), breaks mezzes (eww), can hit stuff above and below (nice if you're not in an area with multiple floors (hive and, so I've read, demiplane), hard to line up on pushed mobs.
Elimas SianLann
Ranger of Alarius - Cazic Thule
Elimas
Ranger

Postby axcell » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:13 pm

I think the people that have not used this spell might be surprised at the dps it can add if you parse it. It works great on large mobs that are cornered by the raid - and you can hit them from melee range (max), so it's not like you have to be using archery to use it. Used in combination with TS you have a spell with a cast time of 3 seconds that has the potentiol for 4 X 2600ish crits (it's pretty normal to get 2 of them over 2k in one cast).

So... if you get good at it and try it out - you'll probably find that it adds a whole lot of dps (with no added aggro) to your melee game as well as your archery game.
axcell
Ranger

Postby Aredhiel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:50 am

hehe ummmmmm REVELATION ABOUT HoA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so yeah, i feel a bit n00bish that i just discovered this tonight, as it was pointed out to me be some fellow guildy rangers......but ummmmm....well.......HoA has NOTHING to do with your bow >>>AT ALL<<< ........it is a NUKE......literally.............that is all.....

YES, it does have to do with alignment as far as hitting multiple mobs as it is a direction AE....but yeah.....it is simply a nuke that "shoots a bunch of arrows at mobs" just like fire nuke "throws a fireball at mobs" or ice nuke "shoots shards of ice at mobs"

if you dont believe me......do what i did to confirm it......unequip your bow and stick it in your inventory, melee a mob and cast the spell a couple times.........you DO still have to have arrows (like some spells would consume a reagent, this is dependant on having arrows)....but is in no way affected by your using or even having a bow, and can be effectively cast from point blank range like any nuke (not dependant on being at a distance like typical archery).........mebbe is a mistake in game that will be fixed later as it does not seem to make much lore sense to me (bc i mentally pic Legolas from LoTR shooting 3 arrows at once n WOW is Orlando Bloom HAWT /moan) but anyway yeah......there ya have it for those that do not know.......HoA is not some super cool spell that affects you firing your bow so as to fire multiple arrows at once, it is simply a nuke that fires a direction AE of "magical arrows" at mob/mobs in your line of sight ;-)

PS: if you alrdy knew this, pls dont make fun of my n00bishness in having just found out :-(
the soul would have no rainbow, if the eyes had shed no tears
~what we do in life....echoes in eternity~
Aredhiel
Ranger

Postby Renwin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:18 am

...and that's exactly why WW will remain pretty impotent. Class dismissed~
Renwin
Goose

Postby Ladas » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:03 am

Aredhiel wrote:and can be effectively cast from point blank range like any nuke (not dependant on being at a distance like typical archery)

Actually, there does appear to be a minimum range, in such that if an NPC is too close to you, they can't be hit by the arrows. Their proximity appears to also be tied to their hit box. I have a very hard time hitting the Pumas in Creator missions with HoA without backing up a little, which puts me out of melee range while I cast.

I've also noticed recently that some of the "invisible" trigger NPCs that Verant/SOE used to use for scripts will completely block the spell and nothing past them will get hit. There are a couple "dead" places in Ssra where I can have multiple snakes grouped in front of me, yet when I cast HoA, nothing gets hit, and if I move forward, you can "bump" into the trigger NPC.

At least, thats what I think is going on, but I can replicate the conditions in exact spots everytime just about.
Ladas
University Professor

Postby tanadrr » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:20 pm

Just get at max melee and it will work fine when you melee. But there is a very fine area for every mob where it will or will not work. On something like an ae rampage mob its easy because if you're taking ae ramp you're probably to close to use it.
tanadrr
Ranger

Postby axcell » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:15 am

One thing I've found to help a lot - figure out the center and move your compass or your casting pop-up there. Once you get it right it will help you line up the shots every time.
axcell
Ranger

Use bandolier as aimer

Postby Chadow » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 am

I found the exact center of my screen using a ruler I the place the top of my bandolier there and locked it. Now I just minimize the bandolier and hit B when ever I need to aim to Cast HOA.

Chadow
Chadow
Ranger

Next

Return to Flaming Arrows