Elders in Crystallos

Rants and Raves

Elders in Crystallos

Postby Trey » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Is it me or are Elder spawns in Crystallos too scarce? I've been groups for 4-5 hours without seeing one... And when we do get one to spawn, most of the time it doesn't drop an essence. Most of the folks I group with only want the armor essences, so when a Squire pops it's really no big deal any more. It just sucks when you're there until 4:30am and ya log with nothing new.

Is there a trick to getting them to spawn, besides killing everything within a quarter mile over and over and over and over? Don't get me wrong, I don't expect loot all of the time but if I do the math right, I believe we have 8 armor slots that can have essences grafted on... To get a set of chromalinked we need 4 different essences per piece of armor which 32 essences... How in the the freaking world does that happen within the next decade?! Do you have to be unemployed, allergic to sunlight, and be able to function without sleep or what?

We wrapped up our Crystallos group at about 4:30-5:00am this morning and 1 essence dropped in 6-7 hours. That's not fun. This was the first morning that came close to breaking some of us. I mean hell, I understand 'challenge' but posting up at a camp and killing the same crap over and over, hoping for a rare spawn with a rare drop, is damn near torture.

Someone crank the Elder spawn dial, please.

/rant off
Trey
Ranger

Postby Moobley » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:19 am

If you want only elders, maximize your wyvern and drake kills. Three of the squire camps have golems in the way, and sometimes a low-cc group doesn't want to risk killing eyes so they wait for them to path. Both of those take away from setting up elder spawns. Camp somewhere other than a squire room and you'll have better luck on elders. I haven't tried it, but the rooms full of wyverns in the ice section would probably be great.
Moobley
Ranger

Postby Sharptalon » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am

Since being keyed for Crystallos, about 30 days after SoF went live, I've seen a total of 3 Squires(2 Earth 1 Air) and I can't even begin to count the amount hours I've spent camping in Crystallos.

Its really kind of sad, while I wouldn't wear many of the drops, it does make the game more fun and exciting to kill namers and they were upgrades to many of the players I was grouped with.

Sharp
Sharptalon
85 Ranger on Xegony(Zebuxoruk)
Ex-Ranger Class leader for Alliance of Hope

Sharptalon, Ranger Extraordinaire
Sharptalon
Ranger

Postby Ranilen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:05 am

Sadly like anyone else would say its all RNG luck.

I was in earth for 2 hours one day and we saw 4 elders and 2 squires.

1 day in air and we saw 2 squires in about an hour and a half of camping before server downtime lol.

Sad sad stuff.
Ranilen
Ranger

Postby Frobus_Swiftshot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 am

The random number generator can be mean and painfully streaky. I was hanging around in the earth squire area once (semi afk, hoping maybe something would rot). In about 1.5 hours, I saw them get 3 squires, 2 elder drakes, 1 elder wyvern. I'm betting the next group that camped there spent 6 hours getting nothing.

Although, really, you only need about 11 essences. The chest item is the only one really worth using 4 essences on (for the clickly and emblem aug). The rest are marginal upgrades at best (couple of AC, maybe 10-20hp/mana). Not really worth 21 more essences.

Cores have been painful for me. There's been times in SHIP where 4-5 hours gets one core. Fun.

I think they should put some kind of artificial cap on the RNG, to be honest. Make it so that it can't go more than a few PHers without spawning a named. Reduce the actual spawn rate on nameds (to even things out). I don't want more named (well, I wouldn't mind it), I'd just like to see that every hour or so you get something. As opposed to sometimes seeing things 2-3 times an hour, and sometimes getting nothing for 5.
Frobus_Swiftshot
Outrider

Postby Trey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:34 am

Moobley wrote:If you want only elders, maximize your wyvern and drake kills. Three of the squire camps have golems in the way, and sometimes a low-cc group doesn't want to risk killing eyes so they wait for them to path. Both of those take away from setting up elder spawns. Camp somewhere other than a squire room and you'll have better luck on elders. I haven't tried it, but the rooms full of wyverns in the ice section would probably be great.

We've done this in the ice section (corner of the drake grid) and in fire (hallway with a dead corner) and we've had less luck in those places than at the squire camps. We actually started doing the fire camp due to a tip from someone that said he'd had 3 elders up at one time (is that possible?).

Ranilen wrote:Sadly like anyone else would say its all RNG luck.

I was in earth for 2 hours one day and we saw 4 elders and 2 squires.

1 day in air and we saw 2 squires in about an hour and a half of camping before server downtime lol.

Sad sad stuff.

I wish we had that luck with the elders. I've seen the squires pop 3 times in a row. We usually get back to back squire spawns around 3am CST. They'd happen at that time often enough, that we'd start to expect it, which was leading me to believe that the RNG wasn't so random.

Frobus_Swiftshot wrote:Cores have been painful for me. There's been times in SHIP where 4-5 hours gets one core. Fun.

I think they should put some kind of artificial cap on the RNG, to be honest. Make it so that it can't go more than a few PHers without spawning a named. Reduce the actual spawn rate on nameds (to even things out). I don't want more named (well, I wouldn't mind it), I'd just like to see that every hour or so you get something. As opposed to sometimes seeing things 2-3 times an hour, and sometimes getting nothing for 5.

The steam cores can be a booger due to the randomness of named spawns. I have a friend that box'd her cleric, hubbie's warrior, and a shaman at the entrance camp of S.H.I.P. and she made out with 5 essences in 4 hours... So being fairly confident that the spawns would be close to the same for another go round, I went with her and her husband about a week later to capitalize on a few cores myself. We were there for 8 hours. We didn't see a named for the first 4 hours. When we did get our first named, he dropped a wire wrapped sceptor (nice primary for my cleric alt :P ), but no core. Over the second 4 hours, we managed to get 3 cores at that camp.

I felt like one of those people that sit at a slot machine for hours with no winnings, but you know if you get up and leave, someone's going to plop down in your spot and hit the jackpot, hehe... So an 8 hour marathon it was.

As far as Crystallos goes, I haven't been back there for 4 or 5 days. I imagine that I'll probably pop back in later this week or during the weekend, when I start to miss the torture. :) If anyone from SOE is reading this (which I would assume would be more rare than an Elder spawn), crank the spawn rate just a tad please! Thanks for your comments, folks!
Trey
Ranger

Return to Flaming Arrows