Nedrom and the Sony Devs

Rants and Raves

Postby Tinluen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:54 pm

Why not an offensive disk to tap into that yellow mana pool we have? If we are swinging two weapons with style and grace, instead of reckless abandon like zerkers, then why not? Our endurance must be high to do this over a long battle, so it would stand to reason that we should benefit from this "skill". If not offensive, then a defensive disk would make me smile until next Christmas. Like I said before we accepted the lowered stats in some offensive andn many defensive skills when we rolled a hybrid, if SOE wouldn't have created yellow mana then we would realistically have nothing to gripe about, but THEY CHOSE this route and now must reap the harvest. I think this is something that should be put on our top 10 list, access to yellow mana for either offensive or defensive disks. Fair is fair the "pures" are gaining spells so we should gain in melee. Then I would love a endurance aura, till then they can keep it.
Tinluen
Ranger

Postby Nendiilya » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:05 pm

I'd rather do away with the endurance system for Rangers and just tie the discs to mana, then give us a really good, rogue level dps disc and have it tied to mana. In that way we can get good discs, but will have to actually balance between them and other abilities.

Though, I doubt that'd ever fly.
Bythos
Centurion of Cestus Dei
Asmodean, Lumiel Server (Aion)

Nendiilya the Voyager
Officer of Cestus Dei, Veeshan (retired 2007)
Nendiilya
Semper Tyrannis

Postby Bariag_Stromm » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Nendiilya wrote:I'm not spinning anything, it still remains that the popular opinion of the time held to go for the chromatic root while knowing the druid one sucked. It's also true it was wanted over the snare trap (I laugh at that trap!), and suggested Aura's that Rytan was willing to implement.

Much like Tranquility of the Glade, the chromatic root is a design of popular opinion of the time, without player pressure it wouldn't exist. Whether or not thats a good or bad thing I can't say, since I guess we'll have to wait and see if the Rogue trap is any good (basically the same), though I doubt it will be.

Basicly what happened was that the traps weren't available for testing until late in beta, very late in beta. I don't know if that was intentional or not but considering the other traps it might have been. The only trap that did seem and still does seem useful is the shammy trap (and that one is marginal at best). "Not being able to slow a leaf in a spring breeze" was how one person in game described our trap. Now to say the ranger trap was complete crap isn't quite accurate. It was quite effective against orc pawns if you could get the thing to path over it.

The rangers on beta had about a week to come up with something before spells would have been "locked". While the chromatic root wasn't what I would call popular it was the best choice (pretty much the only choice) we had that Rytan allowed.
Bariag_Stromm
Ranger

Postby Nedrom » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 am

Well it's nice to see I have my own thread here. Just sending out a grats to the incrase as you guys deserved it. Wether or not the parses on monks I posted helped at all with their decision is another story but good job at being persistant with the devs, it has paid off.
Nedrom
Not A Ranger

Postby Nendiilya » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:45 pm

I've got the feeling it was just that one guy at fanfaire that said something during the class balance panel!

In spite of previous persistence in saying something was a miss, they seemed surprised at the panel at least.
Bythos
Centurion of Cestus Dei
Asmodean, Lumiel Server (Aion)

Nendiilya the Voyager
Officer of Cestus Dei, Veeshan (retired 2007)
Nendiilya
Semper Tyrannis

Postby Lorendahl » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:02 am

Ok, I'm resurrecting a previously dead post.

HOTTDAMN! Rytan is gone?!!? Holy fucking shit, I never thought I'd see the day. Hell, I am so disgusted with how Sony is clueless about Rangers, that I have not visited a board or commented in quite a long time.

Tell me, is Brenblow still around? He has a few things to learn as well. Unfortunately the MMO programmers and such are a small community. I'm afraid they'll run over and ruin another game, like Vanguard. I'm not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but like WoW, they have an opprtunity to see what's been going on and develop a better balanced game. All of the preconceptions and cluelessness as to *any* class, not just ours can be worked out from the start.

The Dev's have had a hardon for Rangers since what, Kunark when they nerfed the shit out of our tanking? Then as someone pointed out, the PoP Bows has them reinvigorated against giving us anything useful (except another root or snare). There's the famous quote of, "Gee if we give you that, we'l have to take away this". But we never see takeaways to other classes. It's truly amazing.

I really think the only thing we can do (sometimes), is to blow away the Top 10 list and focus down tighter. When the Monks (who got our Pac abilities), screamed and focused, Sony caved in and said, "We have returned the monks tanking to pre-PoP levels" or some such thing.

Lastly, a note about Pulling. Someone said that no class was a puller by design, and I believe this is true. Wasn't there a time when the FD-Splitting by a Monk was considered an exploit?? But this is now common use? I am still the preferred puller in most any group I am in. I will sometimes defer to a Monk to allow their ego some room, but I have noted that I can out chain-pull most monks. Bards with their speed are hard to outpull, but they still FD like a monk.

And yes, our offtanking still sucks wind.
Lorendahl
Ranger

Previous

Return to Flaming Arrows