EQ Expansion Guide (for those coming back to the game)

General Quest, Key Quest, and Guide Forum Area

EQ Expansion Guide (for those coming back to the game)

Postby Burlwood » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:49 am

Every now and then people come along and ask a question like, "I used to play EQ, and had an uber level 60 ranger, but then I stopped when WOW came out, but now I'm bored with that and am thinking of returning to EQ. What's happened with rangers? What expansions should I get?

This guide is for you!

Everquest Beta (1998)

Everquest (March 1999)

Ruins of Kunark (Kunark, April 2000)

Epic weapons 1.0.

Max level raised to 60.

New race: Iksar
Scars of Velious (Velious, December 2000)

EQ, Kunark, and Velious were packaged together as the "EQ Trilogy" and are sometimes referred to as "old world."

Shadows of Luclin (Luclin or SOL, December 2001)

Hardware alert: 512MB RAM, GeForce 2, DirectX 8.1 required by new graphics engine and models.

Travel was eased with the introduction of the "Nexus spires," located in several places transporting adventurers to and from the Nexus on the moon of Luclin.

Horses were also introduced, allowing for high-speed movement and combining some of the advantages of both sitting and standing.

Alternate advancement introduced; spend your xp on new abilities instead of levels if you want (or if you're maxed out).

The bazaar was introduced, allowing players to find, buy, and sell tradeable items unattended.

New class: Beastlord
    New race: Vah Shir
Planes of Power (POP, October 2002)

Travel was greatly eased with the "POK stones," books that allow one to teleport between various zones and the Plane of Knowledge.

A complicated progression of raids, defining "elemental" and "time" as points in guild/equipment progression. Raid tools including the raid window introduced.

Level cap increased to 65.
Legacy of Ykesha (LOY, February 2003)

Drogmors (reptilian mounts) arrive on the scene.

Prismatic armor dye allows players to customize the appearance of their toons.

A new equipment slot was introduced: Charms.

The Looking For Group (LFG) tool appears.

A cartography (mapping) system introduced.

New race: Frogloks

This is the expansion for expanded bank slots; shared bank slots were added after the expansion was released.
Lost Dungeons of Norrath (LDON, September 2003)

Instanced dungeons suitable for a single group or raid. Adventurers are rewarded with points that can be used to purchase good armor, augments, spells, weapons, etc. Interest has waned in this expansion and it has become more difficult to get groups for LDON adventures; however it is still used, particularly by people trying to get specific spells or items.

Travel was eased yet again with the adventurer camps' Magi, who could gate players to any other adventurer's camp.

Augments (enhancements to armor and equipment) introduced.
Gates of Discord (GOD, February 2004)

Another expansion with instanced zones and tricky raid progression--and more flag rigamarole.

A nice new animal fear-kiting zone, Natimbi.

Tribute--individual and guild flavors--introduced; turn in loot in exchange for enhanced abilities.

Group and raid leadership abilities introduced.

New class: Berzerker
EQ, Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP, LoY, LDoN, and GoD were sold packaged together as the "EQ Platinum" set.

Omens of War (OOW, September 2004)

Max level increased to 70.

Gap between raiders and casual players narrows with casual access to most zones (though raid mobs there still kick butt).

Epic weapons 1.5 and 2.0 (which require you to travel to zones from most other expansions).

A new attribute added to equipment: ATTUNEABLE items may be traded until equipped. Once equipped, they become no-trade.

A limited set of voice tells made available (great for getting the attention of afk'ers or cutting through battle spam).
Dragons of Norrath (DoN, February 2005)

Another expansion with good raid progression.

Introduced individual story-based one-time (per toon) missions that actually give serious rewards.

Adventurers are rewarded with crystals that can be used to purchase good armor, augments, weapons, etc. Unlike LDON points, DON crystals can be traded.

Use potions in your bags more readily and swap out weapons sets with the new potion belt and bandolier.

A barter area (and tools) added to bazaar.

The guild lobby becomes a popular hangout, with corpse summoning offered 24/7.

Tradeskilling cap increased to 300.

"Grandmaster" player-crafted armor, together with special augments, a boon to non-raiders.

In-game e-mail added.

Guild halls introduced.
Depths of Darkhollow (DOD or DODH, September 2005)

"Monster missions" are instanced zones that allow you to play as another class (and other races and npc mobs) with other players of any level, or assume a Spirit Shroud of other classes of various levels to group with friends with whom you would not otherwise be able to group (or to fill in a key class in your group).

Evolving and intelligent items introduced.

Customizable triggered sound events introduced; hear the sound clip of your choice when TS runs out, when you crit, when Earthcaller lands a slow, or...

Guild hall refurnished to make room for a teleportation chamber, providing one-way transport to many popular destinations.

More neat quests.
Prophecy of Ro (DOD or DODH, February 2005)

Yet more bank slots arrive to contain the wealth of Norrath's adventurers.

Player-set traps, destructable objects, and "spheres of influence" brought into the game.

Comments and corrections are welcome, and may be incorporated into this top message for convenience.

Edit: Since posting this, I have discovered Samanna's Chronology of Everquest, with many more interesting details, including modifications made to the game in between expansions, server splits and mergers, and examples of uber gear from each era.
Last edited by Burlwood on Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Burlwood
72 Ranger of Drinal
Burlwood
Ranger

Postby Ladwenae » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:43 am

Nice write up, Sticky status granted.
Ladwenae - rangering again!
Ladwenae
Site Admin

Postby Nendiilya » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:15 am

I wouldn't exactly call it nice raid progression in Don :?
Bythos
Centurion of Cestus Dei
Asmodean, Lumiel Server (Aion)

Nendiilya the Voyager
Officer of Cestus Dei, Veeshan (retired 2007)
Nendiilya
Semper Tyrannis

Postby Tnexus » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 pm

Excellent post, only thing I might add is in DODH that you can now add sound effects to specific actions and attuneable loot in OOW.

--Tnexus
Tnexus
That's Mr. Community Leader to you!

Postby kullayen » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:23 am

LoY also introduced Frogloks
Kullayen
Ranger of Sequel
kullayen
Ranger

Postby bemien » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:28 pm

Nendiilya wrote:I wouldn't exactly call it nice raid progression in Don :?

I like the raid progresison, it is nice, they just forgot to put in the other 2/3rds of it.
bemien
Pathfinder

Postby Eldakka » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:18 am

Something worth adding (I'm not sure what expansion its from) is spellsets and the ability to right-click on an empty spellgem to get a menu up of spells.

I was helping an old friend (a druid) get back into the game and he was ecstatic over this feature when I explained it to him ;)
Eldakka 70 Ranger
of Europa
Druzzil Ro

(70 Cleric, 70 Druid, 70 Enchanter)
Eldakka
Ranger

Postby Wandaas » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:24 am

Excellent post, only thing I might add is in DODH that you can now add sound effects to specific actions and attuneable loot in OOW.

I've heard of this, and I'd like to have some of those sound effects, how do I do that?
Wandaas
Pathfinder

Postby Swift » Thu May 11, 2006 9:23 am

EQ Platinum included GoD.
Farwarden Swift Azair`Lyn
Swift
Pathfinder

Postby mymaku » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:57 pm

How about a little synopsis of PoR? Plus do you get any goodies from the store version vis-a-vis the digital download? I'm one of those rangers who has returned to EQ after a lo-o-o-ng absence, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed (and underdressed) looking at some of these Magelos.
mymaku
Ranger

Postby Xodar » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:06 pm

Pretty sure the boxed version goodie is the roboboar.

PoR is kind of a filler expansion, but has some interesting spells and zones. And more bank space, which means I was buying it regardless.
Plainswalker Xodar
officer <Bhur Gcairde>
Tribunal server
Xodar
Forest Stalker

Return to Tolan's Journal